Would an EpiPen serve any good purpose in treating a snakebite?Submitted by - Mike, San Jose, CA
A severe allergic reaction to the bites of poisonous critters of all shapes and sizes is always possible—in which case, yes, your EpiPen would most likely reverse the reaction and prevent you from entering anaphylactic shock. But, no, epinephrine will not help—and should not be used—to aid your body in dealing with its reaction to the venom itself. You want to stay calm when envenomated, and epi does not help you stay calm. It excites you. To find out the right way to treat a snakebite (and to see other myths dispelled), click here.