The mighty James River begins its majestic journey in Botetourt County and winds its way through the Blue Ridge Mountains on its way to the sea. The unspoiled beauty of the river is more accessible than ever through the Upper James River Water Trail. Paddlers, anglers and families can get back to nature and enjoy the sights and sounds of the Upper James
Great canoe/kayak section of James River from town of Iron Gate to town of Eagle Rock (~15 miles).
You can shorten this float by putting in at Glen Wilton and/or taking out at Gala
Riders Up Outfitters
- Iron Gate put in is just off Rt. 220 as you enter the town of Iron Gate (look for public boat landing signs to your right)
- Glen Wilton put in/take out is at the bridge at the intersection of 622/633 and Bridge St. It is not marked very well
- Gala put in/take out is accessed by taking Rt. 615 off of 220 for a few miles and then turning right onto Rt. 743 (gravel road). Follow 743 until you come next ot the river (not marked)
- Eagle Rock put in/take out is accessed off of Rt. 43. It is a short dirt road that goes past a garden club and some old silos.
and Twin River Outfitters
provide canoe/kayak rentals and Wilderness Adventure
provides guided canoe/kayak trips.
- These guages are color coded to let you know if the water level is adequate for paddling (not too high). Be advised this is an estimate and does not serve as a substitute for good judgment - when in doubt, don't go.