Located in the Town of Vinton, the Wolf Creek Greenway runs along a portion of Wolf Creek which is a tributary of the Roanoke River.
- 2.2 miles of cinder surfaced trail
- 5 minutes from downtown Roanoke
- Additional Map
Directions to the trailhead
- family bike rides
- a quiet stroll
There are many access points. These directions are the simplest. T
- Take I-581 to Elm Ave./Rt. 24 (Exit 6)
- Turn onto Elm Ave./Rt. 24E (heading away from downtown)
- Follow 24E fro ~3.5 miles
- Bear right as 24E and Washington Ave. become one
- Follow for ~1/2 mile and you will cross Wolf Creek
- Make a U-Turn and then immediately turn right onto Leisure Lane
- Follow Leisure Lane to Goode Park
This trail, just over two miles long, continues to be developed. The trail is a mostly smooth path that tromps through backyards and for a good portion along a very shallow creek. There are many great places to stop and explore. The path stops at several points around William Byrd High School, and even runs through an outdoor classroom with markings for native tree species.
The Wolf Creek Greenway takes you through many public parks. A good place for a bike ride, a family could easily follow the trail to one of these parks and make a picnic destination out of one of the spots.
Also, make certain to see the water fountain, donated by the Blue Ridge Bicycle Club. It has a place for people and for pets to get their fill. There are also many informational kiosks which have doggy bag dispensers. Clean up after yourself and after your pet to keep the Wolf Creek Greenway a special place.
- After your hike head to Jerry's Family Restaurant for a home-cooked meal. On Friday evenings you'll see a parade of vintage cars. Just minutes from the greenway at 1340 E. Washington Ave. (540.343.4400)
- Grab some authentic Thai food at Red Jasmine Thai Cuisine (540.345.1165)
- Experience a dazzling multimedia show under a 40-foot planetarium done at the Science Museum of Western Virginia (540.342.5726)
- Visit the Mill Mountain Zoo (540.343.3241)
- Go see a Salem Red Sox baseball game (540.389.3333)