Join Backpacker magazine photo editor, Genny Fullerton, and Backpacker contributing photographer, Steve Howe, on a four-day, three-night backpacking photo safari where you'll learn what it takes to shoot images worthy of publication.
Hike, camp, and shoot pro-quality images with Backpacker Editors. Join them for the Olympus Summer of Tough! Register today at backpacker.com/workshops!
Designed for amateur photographers wanting to learn to shoot great images while doing what they love—backpacking and exploring natural settings—this four-day, three-night backpacking and photography trip, will pair attendees with the editors and photo editors of Backpacker magazine to capture photos of beautiful and rugged terrain. Tuition includes transportation from Backpacker headquarters to and from the trailhead, guiding fees, permits, certain specified equipment and food, an Olympus camera, and other free gear from sponsors.
Join Backpacker magazine photo editor, Genny Fullerton, and Backpacker contributing photographer and field guide, Steve Howe, on a three-day backpacking photo safari where you’ll learn what it takes to shoot adventure and landscape images worthy of publication. In the field, we’ll review images, talk about composition and how to market your photos to magazine editors, and provide hands-on instruction with real-time critiques. On this trip, the Lead King Basin/Crystal region of Colorado's Elk Range will be our destination. This spectacular area of the high country is a noted wildflower paradise located in less-traveled environs of Colorado's White River National Forest just southwest of the Snowmass/Maroon Bells loop. We'll access it from the town of Marble, just south of Carbondale. All attendees and staff will be shooting with the new Olympus Tough TG-2 iHS—included as part of the safari—because of its durability and performance in all types of backcountry conditions.
TRIP AND WORKSHOP ACTIVITIES INCLUDE (BUT AREN’T LIMITED TO):
• Backpacking and hiking (must be able to carry 50 pounds and hike 7 miles per day)
• Gear/Backcountry safety and skills demonstrations
• Olympus Tough TG-2 iHS features and usage clinic
• Instruction on photo composition and submission to magazines
• Hands-on workshop in the field with Backpacker contributing photographer on exposure, using natural light, framing the shot, shutter speed, panning, composition, focal length, and capturing wildlife, portraits, action/adventure, panorama and landscapes in a wilderness environment.
• Keeping a daily blog with captions and images for post-workshop upload.
• Nightly review of images by fellow attendees and workshop instructors
• Final day brew pub / goodbye gathering to upload photos and blogs from attendees onto the Backpacker microsite.